Real Estate as Career
Considering a Career in Real Estate?
If so, you're probably wondering what does it take to become a licensed real estate agent in the state of Minnesota, what it's like, and what are the benefits. Let me do my best to answer those for you here.
You may also want to check out this survey I did with my agents on "Why Do You Work in Real Estate?"
Becoming a Licensed Agent
1. You need to take 90 hours of education and training before you can get apply for a license. This can be done at a number of real estate schools throughout the Twin Cities metro. There are a number of options including daytime, evening, and online training courses.
Coursework required to obtain a Minnesota Real Estate License
- You may click the following link http://www.prosource.com/ (Now named Kaplan Professional Schools) in order to sign up for the three courses and pretest course that they offer. You may obtain a $50.00 voucher for the pretest course by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. You will need to pass state and national sponsored licensing exams.
3. We will help you apply for a real estate license with the state of Minnesota. Every year thereafter, you will need to take 15 hours of continuing education to maintain to your license. Again, we offer some of these classes in-house at our individual Coldwell Banker Burnet offices.
4. In order to be called a "Realtor", you will need to become a member of the National Association of Realtors.
What Does an Agent Do?
As a licensed real estate agent, your job is to representative consumers looking to buy or sell their home on the market and then guide them through the process.
You help them search out and help them find the perfect home in the area they're looking. As an agent, you'll have access to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) which is an online database with details and background information on almost every home for sale in the market. For a nominal fee, there are also several web design companies in the area who can build you a website that provides your clients with the ability to search through this information on their own. You're job is to provide due diligence on the home, help them negotiate an appropriate offer with the seller, and then to walk them through the closing process. Coldwell Banker Burnet provides a number of services that help simplify the closing process and provide a full service experience to your clients as a part of our service to you as an agent on our team.
Your job is to market houses listed for sale with our company. You will assist sellers with preparing their house in order to get top dollar. You will be able to assist the seller in determining the current market range for asking price. Using our state of the art technology, you will be able to market listings with the most innovative tools available for finding the right buyer. We will train you how to review offers, negotiate the final price, complete a net proceeds and walk the seller through the final closing process.
In both situations, you are paid a commission on the successful closing of the home transaction. If the buyer or seller of the home is being represented by another agent, then the commission is split between the two companies in accordance to whatever terms were set in the original listing agreement for that house.
In short, real estate agents help families find a place to call their next home and help them get the current one sold on the market. You get to help people while working your own hours and you have the potential to earn a comfortable living at the same time.
What are the Benefits of Working in Real Estate?
In real estate, you get to set your own schedule, make your own goals, be your own boss, and have the joy of helping families make important transitions in their life.
You also get the potential to earn a very comfortable living for you and your own family.
Coldwell Banker Burnet takes real estate as a career one step further by providing a team environment, personal coaching from an experienced manager like Wyn Ray, a full service support system for your business, a prime location and work environment, and a proven reputation for quality and success.
Transitioning into a real estate career?
Coldwell Banker Burnet is the only real estate company that offers transitional training for those who can't jump into the business full time. We offer a dynamic evening training program at our Coldwell Banker Burnet University to ensure your foundational training and success.
If you're ready to take the next step, give me a call or text at 612-812-6395 or shoot me an email at WynRay@CBBurnet.com and I'll walk you through the process of getting started as a professional in real estate.